Wednesday 21 January 2015

Two Types of Bear

Hello again!

Today I have another face painting post for you, and this one is about teddy bears. 

I remember when I had just started out face painting, I think it was my second event, and this little boy sat down and said he wanted to be a bear... You can imagine my face. I had no idea where to even begin, thankfully I managed to convince him to be spider-man instead.

That night when I got home, I looked online for 'bear face painting' and I was glad I had convinced him otherwise.

Now though I have two types of bear that I paint, a simple one for the wriggly kids who can't sit still longer than 2 minutes. And a harder one that covers the full face, but I will show you how it's done.

If you are going to use these designs at your next face painting event, don't forget to practice a little first. 


-*-*-*-*-*-

First I will show you the simple bear. This one is very good for little kids who don't want full coverage and those wriggly kids who seem to have ants in their pants (like my mum used to say).


1. Using pink paint, draw a semicircle over each eyebrow. You can use a brush or a sponge, I tend to use a 1/2'' flat brush but you can use any you are comfortable with.

2. With brown paint, draw a thick line round each semicircle to create ears. Join the ears together by drawing a thick line between the two. Then drag flicks upwards into the forehead for a the hair and using a dye brush or you finger, blend the bottom down onto the nose. While you have brown on your brush, you can also do the muzzle now by filling in between the top lip and nose and rounding it off at each side, Try to take a little onto the nose at each side just so the nose doesn't look separate.

3. Outline the ears and hair in black making sure the hair ends in thin points. I tend to just do a flick between the brown and pink of the ears as it looks odd if you outline the whole pink section. Then from each eye, do 3 flicks starting with the largest at the top.

4. Now you can outline the muzzle in black, starting from the top lip, curve it round and end in a point near the nose. Draw a thin line down the center and paint a triangle on the nose. Paint in the top lip with the black and curve the center thing line out to join the lip. Don't forget your whisker dots on each side of the lip, just to fill in the empty space.

5. Now you can either leave it like this, or for a tattered teddy you can paint a patch. Simply paint a square on the cheek of whatever colour you would like, outline in black and paint little stitches from the square onto the cheek.

TaDa... One quick and easy teddy bear that is perfect for girls and boys of any age!

-*-*-*-*-*-

Now the other bear. This one is full coverage of the face, so it takes longer and uses more paint. If you charge for your face painting skills, you may want to take this into consideration when pricing. 



1. Using either a white or a pale yellow, paint a circle around the mouth and nose to create the muzzle of the teddy bear. And draw a small semicircle at each side of the forehead for the inside of the ears.

2. With Brown face paint, create a large circle around the face connecting at each side of the muzzle and fill in. Make sure you match up to each of the ears otherwise they will be floating.

3. Outline the muzzle and paint the lips in black. You can extend the lips if you like to make it look more happy. Paint on a nose and draw a thin black down connecting it to the top lip and round off at bottom.

4.Next you need to outline the rest of the bear in black, making sure to go around the ears and also outlining the inside ear too. With a dry brush go back over these lines dragging some of the paint out away from the design for make it look like fur or fluff. This also softens the design a bit so its not so harsh.

5. Now for the finishing touches. Draw a line straight down the center of the nose connecting the top to the muzzle, then create little stitches down this line. Add some little hash marks around the face to mark it look a bit tattered and to fill in any empty area's. For little girls, you can add some eyelashes by doing some black flicks on the outside of each eye. 

-*-*-*-*-*-

If you are going to use these designs at your next event, practice them first to help you memorize them and experiment with them.

I hope you have enjoyed this post as much as I have, and I please leave pictures in the comments section below if you do try them out. 

If you have any questions or requests, please leave a comment and I will try my best to reply.


Stay Inspired
Amy
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment