Sunday 11 January 2015

Face Painting - Practicing

Hello again!


I wanted to talk to you more about face painting. The other day I posted about starting off face painting and what essentials you needed to buy to get you started. Here is a link to that post:

http://libidascreations.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/thinking-of-face-painting.html

And I hope that post got you thinking about starting face painting because it is a really fun hobby and you have the potential to earn a little extra money from it if you decide to. But, before you get to that stage, you need to practice!

So whether you practice on yourself or some victim out there who doesn't know it yet, you need to get some designs done and it helps to practice. I know it comes without saying that the more you practice, the better you will get, but there are other benefits to come from it too. Such as, say if you have a design, the first couple of times you paint this design you will probably need a picture or drawing for reference, but, if you practice it, you will find that after a few times you won't need a reference anymore because you've practiced it and you know how to paint it without the reference. 

When I first started, I used Google images a lot by just searching 'face painting designs' and trying to copy from the images that came up. Now though, when I'm doing new designs, I also use Pinterest and YouTube for ideas and references. Usually I will start by copying the image or video once to see if I can do the design (trust me, for some of them it seems like you need to go through art college first), but also to see roughly how much paint is used as this all plays a part when it comes to pricing. 

Once I have copied the design once, I will take a photo and I draw out onto a template my own version of it. Like this... 



As you can see with this design I haven't changed too much as it is a simple design anyway. I just took some of the dots away and I've added some glitter, I have also replaced the snowflake in the center with just some simple flicks as I was trying to keep it simple. I have done this because I do charge for my face painting and I was trying to keep this one within a price range, which is with some of my cheaper designs. 

So, once I have drawn out my version of the design, I then paint out my design. While I am doing this, I make sure to time how long it takes as this adds to the pricing too (obviously designs that take longer will cost more).

This is my design painted out...


There is glitter on the dots under the eyes and on the blue diamond but you can't really see it in this photo. 

This is how I came up with a lot of my designs when I first started and I still use this method now for some of them. But the more designs you do, and the more you face paint, you will come up with your own style and methods that suit you. Sometimes I just sit down with a face template and draw whatever comes into mind. 

So, I hope this will help you come up with some designs of your own and remember... you have to practice!


Stay Inspired
Amy
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment