Tuesday 13 January 2015

Accordion Pocket

Hello!

Today I have making some accordion pockets to go in scrapbooks I am making, so I thought I would show you how to make them.

The one I will be showing you is one I am making to go on the inside cover of a scrapbook but I have also made another one this morning with file tabs in to keep in my handbag, all I did was cover the back with paper too so it didn't look messy. 


You will need:

  • C5 Sized Envelopes
  • 6''x 6'' Decorative Papers
  • Paper Cutter / Ruler & Scissors
  • Scoring Tool
  • Adhesive (Double sided tape is easiest for this)
  • Magnets (Optional)
I am using magnets for my closure but you can use any type of closure you want. These also look really cute with the string closure.

First you need to cut your envelopes at 4 1/2'' from the bottom, like in the picture.
You can cut as many envelopes as you want, but you want at least 4 otherwise there isn't enough stability and it might rip when you open it. I am doing 5 today.


Next you need to stick all of your envelopes together to create an accordion. I find that double sided tape works the best as it gives you straight lines so your pocket opens neatly. Place the tape on pockets as I'v shown in the picture, making sure to leave about an inch at either side. Line all your envelopes up together making sure the openings are all at the top.

Using the top part from one of the envelopes, seal it shut and from this edge you want to score at 2'' and then at 2 1/4''. This will give you enough depth for up to approximately 8 envelopes with photos in. If you are wanting it deeper just change the score line. So, instead of 1/4'' between, you could but 1/2''. Then on the open edge, cut diagonally down from the score line. This will make the finished pocket look neater.

Now you can stick the flap you just made on to the back of the pocket. Make sure to line it up with the edges of your pocket so you don't end up with a wonky flap.









If you are using magnets, you want to stick them on now so you can hide the tape under the decorative paper. I just use duct tape to secure my magnets on, because it is quick and strong enough that they won't be pulled off when I go to open the pocket. Make sure your magnets line up and that the positive side of one is to the negative side of the other, otherwise you won't be able to close your pocket.





Now you just need to add you decorative paper. The piece on the flap is 6''x 1 3/4'' and the larger piece is 6''x 41/4''. I also add a piece on the inside of the flap to hide the magnet which is also 6''x 1 3/4''. If you covering the back you will need a piece that is 6''x 4 1/4''.

Then add any embellishments you like and voilĂ ! 


Hope you enjoyed this tutorial and get creative with it. 


Stay Inspired
Amy
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment